A Jubilee Special
Lieutenant Charlie Martell recorded a tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee. A copy was sent to Buckingham Palace last week. The full recording is available for everyone to see here:
Summary: Day 29
- - 22.6 miles travelled
- - 22.5 miles made good
- - 586.5 miles total distance made good
- - And since yesterday, thanks to The Daffodil, funds raised for charity have now topped £12,000
So, it was an early start this morning, woken by the petrels (whom I suspect may have been kipping on deck!). As I came out of my cabin, I noticed the morning to be still… not a noise in the air. The ocean calm, not flat calm, but almost. I heard a splash and just a few hundred metres away from the stern of Blossom I saw a couple of dolphins leaping out of the water silently, only to splash back down… they did this several times before making their way away from me. A great start to the day.
Porridge (again!) for brekkers, then I was on the oars for 0500. I’m fairly happy with the progress made today, it’s not been really tough, but certainly not easy either. As I came towards the end of rowing, the dolphins made another appearance, but didn’t hang around for more than a few minutes… not more than ten minutes later, I spotted a flying fish, just the one and it looked like a giant dragonfly as it seemed to effortlessly cruise through the air, before submerging again!
Today not only marks the 1st day of June, but also the end of week 4 for Blossom and I. As we start week 5 tomorrow, I will be thinking of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Have a great weekend!
Ways you can help…
- - Forward the Jubilee message to as many people as you can, this weekend
- - Email Charlie and Blossom (he receives all e-mails but, in the words of the best celebrities, can’t guarantee to reply to them all individually. You’ll most likely see a reply on the blog, or a mention in the video diary).
- - Sponsor Charlie (for those in the UK, there’s a link to Justgiving here. For those in the US and overseas, our Firstgiving page provides a means for you to donate).</li>
- - Follow Charlie on Twitter
- - Spread the word about his epic adventure by whatever means possible!